Welcome to Coolasscinema.com! This is a site dedicated to the propagation of strange and exciting cinema (and television) from all over the world as well as America's own grand tradition of exploitation cinema classics. From the front (and back) seats of drive in's across the nation, to the sleaze pit theaters of New York's famed 42nd street, to the comforts of home watching fantastic cinema on the Late Show, remember those classic (and sometimes classless) films of old and even discover some new ones.
Assorted Bits & Pieces: THE LAST SAMURAI (1974) 3 DVD Giveaway Contest!
On June 26th, 2012, Neptune Media released their first DVD title. This inaugural release was from one of Japan's more well known directors on the international market, Kenji Misumi; that film being THE LAST SAMURAI from 1974. Before images of a Japanese armor clad Tom Cruise begin dancing in your head, forget all that and imagine a near 3 hour sprawling epic on the level of GONE WITH THE WIND, but far more violent. And with an entirely Japanese cast.
This release of Kenji Misumi's THE LAST SAMURAI is from a brand new 16:9 hi def transfer in its original 2.35:1 aspect ratio.
In conjunction with Neptune Media (special thanks to John Gainfort), Cool Ass Cinema has three copies of this amazing samurai classic to give away to three lucky readers for free! Instead of being the standard random drawing, I'm going to change things up a bit. This will be three contests. One will be a standard drawing and the other two will have a question, or questions to be answered. I thought this would make things a little more interesting and hopefully a bit of fun at the same time.
The question for this first contest has a two part answer. It's not too difficult, but will require some snooping to get both answers; especially for those not overly familiar with the actors and films. The question is below:
Ogata Ken is one of the main stars in THE LAST SAMURAI (1974). Name THREE films Ogata Ken did with Sonny Chiba. ONE of those movies Ogata appeared in bears connection with Misumi's SHOGUN ASSASSIN. What's the connection?
And now for the contest rules and prize information:
1. There are three DVD prizes in this contest. One prize per winning entry per contest.
2. If you are the winner of a giveaway, you can't enter one of the others.
3. Multiple entries will be disqualified.
4. If, for whatever reason, a prize winner decides not to accept their prize, another contestant with the correct answer will be chosen.
5. Send your answer along with your name, email address and home mailing address to email@example.com for your entry.
6. The contests apply to US and Canadian residents only.
7. PLEASE MAKE SURE TO INCLUDE THE CORRECT NAME AND MAILING ADDRESS. Cool Ass Cinema is not responsible for illegible or incorrect entry information.
8. This first contest begins Monday, August 13th and will run till Sunday, August 19th at 11:59pm.
9. The first contest winner will be announced the following Monday at the Cool Ass Cinema Facebook page and also here at Cool Ass Cinema upon the announcement of the SECOND CONTEST.
For more information about this release, and about Neptune Media, click HERE.
For a review of the film and to see screen shots, click HERE.
copyright 2013. All text is the property of coolasscinema.com and should not be reproduced in whole, or in part, without permission from the author. All images, unless otherwise noted, are the property of their respective copyright owners.
I've been a huge movie buff since childhood catching old horror and monster flicks on Shock Theater and kung fu movies at the drive-in during the late 70's and early 80's. I've had a long time fascination with, and appreciate all genres of fantastic cinema, good and bad. One fans cheese is another fans juicy steak. I like both equally and seldom find a film I truly dislike as I will find something of interest in just about anything. The bulk of the films or tv series' seen here are mostly from my childhood, or films I own in what has become an Amazing Colossal DVD collection.